Grid Charger
Grid charger owners and location, as well as some service links for hybrid services
Grid charger code V3.0 manual
Understanding the charging and balancing process
Pack discharger
SOC reset device
Insight Battery pack lifter
Grid charger test adapters
Reprogramming the charger
Installing the Genesis One Universal grid charger in an Insight
Installing the Genesis One Universal grid charger in a First Gen Civic
Harness options
The Universal Grid Charger
MIMA Pack Whack and rebalancing the battery
Battery pack rebalancing?
Building the Solar HV charger/rebalancer
Building the HV probe for the + attachment
failure mode #1 Shorted Cell and the cell Zapper fix?
current indicator
Equilization test #1
fast pack rebalancing 101
Getting better signals
Grid charger/Balancer 1
How do I test the sticks to determine which I need to be replaced
Hybrid Battery Repair
IMA battery smart discharger
Looking better on the second cycle
more tuning of the controller/ Datalogger
Not really rebalanced just changed????
Overnight two stage charger
pack rebalancing test 1
Refining the tester
Replacement for 1 Watt LED
Insight Battery pack Solar charger/rebalancer
Subpacks 1-8
Subpack tested first high current run
Subpack tester first test
The HV panels can bend and will shock the S**T out of you
universal dual stage grid charger
What is wrong with the subpacks?
Mikes Insight
EV Insight with a Prius heart
Grid charger Operating Instructions V1.2
Designing a PHEV system for the Civics, Insight 1 and 2 ------------Micro V-Buck PHEV
Doug's V-Boost
Randall's Insight
Paul's Adventures in alternative evergy
Western Washington University X-Prize car
Finding The Best Hybrid Mix
E-wheel for any vehicle

Subpack tester first test

Subpack tester first test
First test and analysis

I got out my working notebook with it's data acquisition system, and wrote a quick labview program to monitor, display, and write to a file what is happening on each cell. I will add AH computations tomorrow.

The high current connections worked reliably through out the test, with only a slight rise in the #10 wire temperature to show for it. The discharge test at 35A, showed an initial voltage difference on cell #1 (the shorted one)of about .08V it lagged the other cells by about that amount for most of the test.
I got a long 1-3 minute discharge at @35A,beforethere was a rapid drop off of cell #1 voltage, just as the others started to accelerate their downward plunge. It was so fast I couldn't get my cameras turned on fast enough to shoot it.
So the shorted cell performed at say 80% the capacity of the others, and had a lower fully charged voltage than the others at full charge.
I can't help but think that I need a better zapper.

I took some photos of the big alligator clip and Stainless steel bolt head that was my capacitor zapper switch.The amount of plasma damage suggest that we may have lost a good deal of the energy in the contacts.
Now that I made a spotwelder that can put out 10,000A, controllable length pulses, I need to try this again.

We must remember that these cells are designed to produce 100A, so we need to hit it with many times that if we hope to vaporize the dendrites.