New consulting relationship with GreenTecAuto begins
What actually goes wrong with the batteries????
A look at todays Hybrid and EV battery packs
Battery packs exposed
Keeping Warm In New England
Plugging into the SUN
Making a small solar concentrator
Building MIMA and the plug in adapters
Converting a telephone truck to electric
DIY dual pulse Capacitor Discharge Spotwelder
Cell Miller mounting the components
Welding beautifully
More snubbing
Beefing up the switching board
Rebuilding the welder
Need better welds
Welder first test
Making some cells for weld testing
More parts of the process
New weld head
Spotwelding fixture #1
More energy
First weld testing
Making a spot welder??
Chevy Bolt EV joins the family
Getting in shape while making electricity
Replacing gasoline with solar electric lawn equipment
What is Genesis One?
How to stop the aging process DIY
MIMA Install Day 2005 a Big Success!
Building a hybrid car grid charger
Tapping into the Wind
Expanding MIMA with the Distribution board ( users projects )

More energy

More energy
Now we have some serious weld power

I made my trip to Boston and came home with sixteen 300,000uf 15V caps.
The date code was 1984, but they were still in the shipping containers, and I charged each one to make sure they would charge to the 15V level.
Brought them home, and before the car had cooled off, I had mounted 12 of them to my bus bars and gave them a few shots.The test welds look much better,the SCR did not have a problem with the energy, even at the full voltage I did not burn the metal, and the welds were nice and strong.
The only problem with the concept is weld frequency. At 3A of recharge current, it takes half a minute to recharge the capacitor bank between shots. I will need an adjustable voltage 15-20A recharge supply to be able to weld a cell in a reasonable time.

Now I am ready to build the weld head.